When the thought of working after a pleasant Sunday comes into your mind, it surely freaks you out. Similarly, the thought of getting leg cramps every night definitely drives you crazy.
The worst thing about leg cramps is that they hit at the worst possible time. Mainly when people are running or sleeping, that sharp stabbing pain can feel debilitating. It has been found that leg cramps are generally experienced by people when they are sleeping. Have you ever felt the sudden contraction or tightening of the muscle in the calf? You probably know how the pain feels…
But have you ever wondered why the night leg cramps pain the most? This article will talk about that.
So, let’s get started!
What Are Night Leg Cramps?
First thing first: If you want to cure your night-leg cramps, stretch your body every day, and get a night of proper sleep.
Night leg cramps are more likely to be related to muscle fatigue and nerve problems. These are also known as nocturnal leg cramps. They are painful, involuntary actions in your legs that happen due to the convulsion of muscles. It usually involves the calf muscles and occurs when you are in bed.
Reasons For Night Leg Cramps
There are many reasons for which night leg cramps happen. I have listed some of them below for your better understanding.
- Standing for a prolonged period of time can cause night leg cramps. People who work all day, standing, can likely have leg cramps during the night when they are about to sleep. Hence, sit for a while, get some rest, and energize up to avoid those cramps at night.
- Night leg cramps or nocturnal leg cramps can also happen due to wrong sitting posture. If you sit with your legs crossed for a long time, the calf muscles might get shortened, resulting in leg cramps.
- Many strong medicines can also contribute to night leg cramps. Medicines like steroids and antidepressants are some of them.
- Night leg cramps can also be a result of consuming alcohol. According to research, people who consume alcohol have had cramps like that. Alcohol may damages the muscle fibers, hence leading to cramping.
- Too much exercising can also cause night cramps in the legs. Fatigued muscles are more susceptible to cramping. Therefore, if you are experiencing leg cramps after exercise, do consult a doctor.
- Dehydration is also one important cause of night cramps in the legs. If you don’t drink the sufficient amount of water that the body needs, resulting in weak muscles and, consequently, painful cramps.
- Too much stress and anxiety are also the reason for leg cramps during the night. Anxiety causes muscle tension which can lead to cramps because the muscles need to regain energy. Contraction of muscles (cramps) helps in rebuilding the lost energy.
Remedial medicines for Night Leg Cramps
Some medicines work as remedies for night cramps. If you carefully take medicinal help, you will soon get rid of the painful cramps that you experience. So let’s have a look at the list of medicines.
1. Crampnil High Absorption Magnesium, Calcium and L- Carnitine Powder, 180g
It contains a high dose of oxide-free Magnesium, which is easily observed by the body. It helps to cure muscle cramps, night cramps, and pain in the legs so that you get relief. Camlin power will also reduce your stress resulting in little to no night leg cramps.
2. Fast&Up Magnesio, 320 mg
It is a supplement that helps to ease nocturnal leg cramps, stress to restore energy, avoiding muscle cramps. It increases the magnesium and zinc levels in the body that will prevent you from getting leg cramps. You just need to drop, dissolve and drink it up.
3. Dr. Ortho Ayurvedic Capsules – 30 capsules
These capsules are made with fresh herbs that help you relieve muscle stiffness and night-leg cramps. The herbs also heal the pain of the cramps, giving you a soothing feel. Having these capsules might help you a lot.
4. Cramp Well Chewable Tablet – 30 tablets
If you suffer from severe night-leg cramps, then these tablets are perfect for fighting with cramps. You will feel good, and gradually the cramps will stop happening. A proper medicine for aged people as well.
5. Genexa, Homeopathic Leg Cramp, Organic Leg Cramp & Pain Formula, 100 Chewable Tablets
These homeopathic tablets will make you feel better. No artificial preservatives are used to make this remedial medicine. Addresses pain in legs, cramps in calves, legs, and feet. People of every age can consume these tablets; these are very safe and fast working.
**Disclaimer: before taking any medicines for night leg cramps, consult your doctor first.
Exercises to prevent Night Leg Cramps
Other than taking the help of the medicines, you can also go for some exercises that will help you overcome night leg cramps. Even doctors prescribe exercises to prevent night cramps along with medicines. A little effort can protect you from painful cramps.
1. Seated calf and hamstring stretch
This exercise can be done on a bed or on a yoga mat. After being seated, you need to extend your legs and reach the toes by stretching your arms. Repeat this 8-10 times. Try doing this regularly early in the morning after you wake up or one hour before going to bed.
2. Hamstring standing stretch
Place a chair against the wall and stand in front of it. Having done, that put your right heel on the edge of the chair. Slightly bent over the right leg, keeping your upper body straight. Do this for the left leg too. While doing this, don’t stretch too much because you might get hurt. Initially, the legs will ache, but with each passing day, you’ll gradually be an expert.
3. Cross calf stretch
Stand with your legs apart and try to reach for the opposite toes by stretching your arms. For example, touch the left toe with your right arm and vice-versa. This exercise will help you to cope up with night leg cramps.
4. Standing calf stretch
Standing calf stretch is a bit different from cross calf stretch. Here you have to stand facing the wall and stretch your hand at chest level. Without bending, lean your right leg forward and try flexing the knee. The left leg should be straight and far from the wall. Make sure you don’t lift your feet while doing this. Repeat the same process for the other leg as well.
Night leg cramps have been a part of our daily lives for most of us, but now it’s time to get rid of them. Without haste, start doing exercises and if that doesn’t help, take medicines. I am sure you’re going to make it. If this article helped you, don’t forget to recommend others to help them too.
- These 6 Zodiac Signs Are Sworn Enemies - September 24, 2021
- How Much Time Should I keep Essential Oil on my Face - September 22, 2021
- Why Should Women Invest in High-quality Activewear - September 20, 2021