Morning Lazziness product selections are curated by the editorial team. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. We only recommend products we genuinely love.
Your Good Skin Habit – Exfoliation
Cleansing, moisturizing, and daily sunscreen application are vital steps in a skincare routine. But, in the long run, exfoliation has been underrated. Exfoliating products have come into the limelight again, and all the beauty influencers can’t get enough of – what a facial exfoliation can do wonders!
So here we have covered everything from basic to steps of exfoliation. We’ve also made a list of top-rated facial exfoliants that you can try in your skincare routine as per your skin type.
Things You Need To Know About Exfoliation
Exfoliating is a skincare practice that involves the removal of dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. This process helps unclog pores, promote cell turnover, and create a smoother skin texture. Facial exfoliation is a skincare practice specifically focused on removing dead skin cells and promoting a smoother complexion on the face.
What are the benefits of Exfoliation?
- Improved Skin Texture: Regular exfoliation can leave your skin feeling smoother and softer.
- Unclogs Pores: By removing dead skin cells, exfoliation can help prevent clogged pores and reduce the likelihood of acne breakouts.
- Enhances Absorption: Exfoliating can enhance the absorption of skincare products, allowing them to penetrate more effectively into the skin.
Why Are Chemical Exfoliation So Popular Nowadays?
- It uses chemical compounds, such as alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), to dissolve dead skin cells.
- AHAs, like glycolic and lactic acid, are water-soluble and work on the skin’s surface.
- BHAs, such as salicylic acid, are oil-soluble and can penetrate the pores, making them effective for treating acne-prone skin.
Steps for Facial Exfoliation:
- Cleanse: Begin with a gentle facial cleanser to remove any makeup, dirt, or impurities from the skin.
- Exfoliate: Apply the chosen exfoliant according to the product instructions. Be gentle, especially if using a physical exfoliant, to avoid irritation.
- Rinse: Thoroughly rinse off the exfoliant with lukewarm water.
- Moisturize: Follow up with a hydrating moisturizer to replenish the skin’s moisture barrier.
Paula’s Choice–SKIN PERFECTING Salicylic Acid Exfoliant
Paula’s Choice facial exfoliants are gentler on the delicate skin of the face & neck than an abrasive face scrub. Beta hydroxy acid (BHA, also known as salicylic acid) mimics the natural exfoliation process of younger skin by helping it shed extra layers while unclogging and clearing pores.
Neutrogena Skin Perfecting Daily Liquid Facial Exfoliant
With glycolic acid, an AHA that helps smooth & brighten the look of skin; gluconolactone, an exfoliant & moisturizing humectant that decongests down to pores while conditioning, & mandelic acid, an AHA for brighter-looking, more even-toned skin.
Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, Face Exfoliator Scrub Powder
Achieve brighter, smoother skin every day with this iconic exfoliating powder. Upon contact with water, this powder polishes skin to perfection to help balance uneven skin tones while calming your skin.
Naturium BHA Liquid Exfoliant
A face exfoliator gentle enough for daily use, this Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) mimics the natural exfoliation process of young skin, helps balance oil production, and boosts moisture retention.
Good Molecules Overnight Exfoliating Treatment
Embrace newfound confidence with the Good Molecules Overnight Exfoliating treatment, made with powerful ingredients to reveal your most radiant skin.
Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliant
This glycolic acid toner is formulated with 7% glycolic acid, gently exfoliates and improves skin clarity, reduces acne, and improves skin texture. It also contains organic aloe vera gel, which soothes and hydrates the skin.
The INKEY List Glycolic Acid Toner
It reduces the appearance of pores, blackheads, and fine lines with this exfoliating toner that also gives skin a nice boost of radiance.
Minimalist 3% PHA
Minimalist 3% PHA is very lightweight and glides on the skin effortlessly before absorbing quickly & completely. Reduces pore size by removing congestion and balancing oil.
Ebanel Chemical Peel Exfoliant Gel
This 30% AHA + 2% Salicylic Acid chemical peel combined with Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, and Mandelic Acid to exfoliate lingering dead skin cells, reduce scarring, skin discoloration, and signs of aging.
Youth To The People Kombucha Power Exfoliant
This overnight leave-on liquid face peel reveals brighter-looking skin and smoother-feeling texture, with a potent blend of 7% lactic and 3% glycolic acids.
The Ordinary Peeling Solution
AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution from The Ordinary offers deeper exfoliation to help fight signs of pore congestion and improve skin radiance. The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines.
Tips: The frequency of facial exfoliation depends on your skin type and the specific product being used. Typically, 1-3 times per week is recommended. Excessive exfoliation can lead to irritation, redness, and sensitivity. Pay attention to your skin’s response and adjust the frequency accordingly.