Mobile phone addiction, colloquially known as “nomophobia,” which defines the fear of being without a mobile phone, is often fuelled by the excessive usage of social media. Internet overuse is a major problem among youngsters in modern society, which is brimming with technological advancements today.
We all have accounts on different social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and whatnot. At the same time, we find veiled talents in the society discovered via social media. So many people made a career from scratch through YouTube or Instagram after gaining a considerable number of followers… Social media allows you to convert your passion to a profession.
There are various facets of social media. Let’s read some quotes to delve deeper into the dual purpose of social media.
Social Media Obsession Quotes
Elders often tend to focus more on the negative aspects of social media. And children and teenagers are frequently victims of excessive social media obsession. Lying about smartphone use, trouble completing duties at work, school, or home, checking peoples’ profiles repeatedly due to anxiety, etc., are warning signs of an unhealthy addiction of a person to social media.
Turning off your notifications, setting time limits on phone usage, deleting extremely distracting apps, etc., are some ways you can combat social media addiction. Let’s read some quotes that highlight an insane obsession with social media.
1. “The social media platforms have taken over the distribution of news globally. They treat a lie the same way you would treat a fact.” – Maria Ressa
2. “The more social media we have, the more we think we’re connecting, yet we are really disconnecting from each other.” – JR
3.”It’s easy to blame technology for what we perceive to be a vast disconnect between people. We’re so wrapped up in social media, texting, online dating – in many ways, we’re addicted to our devices.” – Saroo Brierley
4. “There are things that people say that hurt my feelings or whatever, especially with social media right now. It can be the most amazing thing, and it can also be the most negative and detrimental thing.” –Zendaya
5. We need to start identifying the triggers that aggravate mental health issues in our society – bullying, social media negativity and anxiety, gender-based violence, substance abuse, stigma around issues such as maternal issues, etc., and we need to speak up about these more and get to the source of the problems.” – Sanam Saeed
6. “I am a huge advocate for anti-bullying in our youth. What I have seen with the rise of social media is that children are not facing bullying on a playground, they are facing it on their cell phones.” – Whitney Wolfe Herd
7. “As far as self-confidence goes, so much of social media is about approval, getting likes, comparing our lives to others’ – meanwhile, confidence is an inside job: it’s about how you feel about yourself regardless of what anyone else does or thinks. It’s a knowing that you’re human, you’re flawed, and you’re awesome in your own way.” – Jen Sincero
8. “Social media websites are no longer performing an envisaged function of creating a positive communication link among friends, family and professionals. It is a veritable battleground, where insults fly from the human quiver, damaging lives, destroying self-esteem and a person’s sense of self-worth.” – Anthony Carmona
9. “Social media is just a platform. What some people decide to do with it results in something good or bad.” – Rana Daggubati
10. “I think there should be regulations on social media to the degree that it negatively affects the public good.” – Elon Musk
11. “Social media is a very, very powerful tool. It also gives power to tools.” –Chris Young
12. “It takes discipline not to let social media steal your time.” – Alexis Ohanian
13. “Social media is not a safe space.” – Tarana Burke
14. “I feel social media can be very distracting, unhealthy, and harmful to one’s self-confidence. I don’t even log on to it on my phone except when I post something on Instagram.” – Rupi Kaur
15. “I don’t check Twitter as much or tweet as often because, honestly, sometimes social media is draining and brings out all of the negative things going on.” – Doja Cat
16. “There’s so much negativity on social media, I don’t want to add to that.” – Shawn Mendes
17. “You don’t need to go far to see the hatred and abuse that happens online. Even using social media is anti-social because people are always on their phones.” – Ronny Chieng
18. “Social media is an advertisement for the superficial extroverted self.” – Hozier
19. “Social media has given us this idea that we should all have a posse of friends when in reality, if we have one or two really good friends, we are lucky.” – Brene Brown
20. “Social media, unfortunately, just makes it a lot easier to be jealous. It sets up false expectations of reality, so it’s really easy to look at someone else’s life online and assume that they have everything going great for them and that their life is perfect.” – Franchesca Ramsey
21. “Everyone is comparing lives on social media and wants the perfect body, perfect image, perfect outfit, perfect life – we’re striving for this perfection, and it’s so unhealthy because there’s no such thing as perfection.” – Emily Atack
22. “Fake news is a big thing in the field of Social Media Journalism. Fake news can be as simple has spreading misinformation.or as dangerous as smearing hateful propaganda.” – Fabrizio Moreira
23. “Social media is an amazing tool, but it’s really the face-to-face interaction that makes a long-term impact.” – Felicia Day
24. “We live in a culture where everyone’s opinion, view, and assessment of situations and people spill across social media, a lot of it anonymously, much of it shaped by mindless meanness and ignorance.” – Mike Barnicle
25. “The worst thing to do when I’m feeling insecure or a bit vulnerable is to scroll through Instagram. You only show when life is good on social media. Everyone looks happy all the time.” – Adwoa Aboah
Positive Social Media Quotes
Social media was intended to keep relationships strong among friends or colleagues. People won’t lose touch with each other when they leave a particular institution or relocate to a different place.
Staying connected was the original motto of social media. Also, finding new spaces where you can build up companionship with people having similar interests and mindsets is another important part of social media.
You can also express your opinions and show unique talents on social media; you may gain recognition through it, which will enable you to create an identity of your own.
Reading articles and staying informed through different news channels/pages show how useful social media can be if used prudently. People do receive support during times of crisis through social media. Let’s glance through some quotes that call attention to the positive aspects of social media.
26. “Social media is not a media. The key is to listen, engage, and build relationships.” –David Alston, author
27. “Think about what people are doing on Facebook today. They’re keeping up with their friends and family, but they’re also building an image and identity for themselves, which in a sense is their brand. They’re connecting with the audience that they want to connect to. It’s almost a disadvantage if you’re not on it now.” –Mark Zuckerberg, Co-founder and CEO of Facebook
28. “Social media is the ultimate equaliser. It gives a voice and a platform to anyone willing to engage.” –Amy Jo Martin, Founder and CEO of Digital Royalty
29. “Social marketing eliminates the middlemen, providing brands the unique opportunity to have a direct relationship with their customers.” –Bryan Weiner, CEO, Comscore
30. “You don’t need a corporation or a marketing company to brand you now: you can do it yourself. You can establish who you are with a social media following.” –Ray Allen, former American professional basketball player
31. “The first rule of social media is that everything changes all the time. What won’t change is the community’s desire to network.” –Kami Huyse, PR & social media strategist, entrepreneur, CEO Zoetica Media
32. “Social media allows big companies to act small again” –Jay Baer, keynote speaker, emcee, author, and entrepreneur
33. “Social media will help you build up loyalty of your current customers to the point that they will willingly, and for free, tell others about you.” –Bonnie Sainsbury, Founder and CEO of Social Media Smarter
34. “Pushing a company agenda on social media is like throwing water balloons at a porcupine.” –Erik Qualman, author, and motivational Speaker
10. “Social media is about sociology and psychology more than technology.” –Brian Solis, digital analyst, author, keynote speaker
35. “Content is fire. Social media is gasoline.” –Jay Baer, keynote speaker, emcee, author, and entrepreneur
36. “Social Media can provide a conversational extension to a B2B company’s nurturing programs. Social Media gives us the opportunity to humanise our communications and make our companies more approachable.” –Ardath Albee, CEO & B2B marketing strategist, marketinginteractions.com
37. “How do you know your content’s relevant? Increased social traffic, engagement & quality leads.” –Jason Miller, communications strategist and political manager
38. “Build it, and they will come” only works in the movies. Social Media is a “build it, nurture it, engage them, and they may come and stay.” –Seth Godin
39. “Social Media is about the people! Not about your business. Provide for the people and the people will provide for you.” –Matt Goulart, Founder, Ignite Digital
40. “When creating a social media campaign, make sure you know your audience well.” –Liz Azyan, author and social media expert
41. “The qualities that make Twitter seem insane and half-baked are what makes it so powerful.” –Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Law at Harvard
42. “Why are we trying to measure social media like a traditional channel, anyway? Social media touches every facet of business and is more an extension of good business ethics.” –Erik Qualmann, author and motivational Speaker
43. “The beauty of social media is that it will point out your company’s flaws; the key questions is how quickly you address these flaws.” –Erik Qualmann, author and motivational speaker
More Social Media Sayings
Well, one should use social media in a balanced way to get the best of it. But, life is all about maintaining equilibrium, and so is social media. If you prudently use social media and plan wisely, it should not be an obstacle. You’ll be able to remain connected and derive the best out of it without neglecting your family, loved ones, or work.
Ensure that social media brings you peace and happiness; it’s not a bane. Rather it may turn out to be a boon, one of the best things you’ve ever got in life, as you can see and remain connected to the whole world using social media, irrespective of how remote a location is.
Social media and the Internet surely have proved to be miracles and helped imagination become a reality. It’s a technological feat that made dreams come true and something we never imagined in our wildest dreams. It’s only flawed human behavior and our faulty actions that have turned it be viewed negatively.
44.“With social media so prevalent we are all EXTREMELY visible. Your prospective clients, your peers and your competition can drill as deep as they wish searching, reading and gathering information online about you and posted by you without you ever knowing who’s searching. Depending on what they find, your prospects may choose to do business with you or not.” –Mari Smith, Facebook marketing expert, social media influencer, speaker, and author
45.“I get a 100% email open rate,’ said nobody ever. All the more reason to place Facebook ads targeting your own email list.” –Mari Smith, Facebook marketing expert, social media influencer, speaker, and author
46.“You are what you tweet.” –Alex Tew, Founder & CEO of Calm
47.“In Social Media, the “squeaky wheel” gets the oil. You have to put yourself out there, to find people who will relate or even debate with you, depending on what you are looking for.” –Jessica Northey, Multimedia personality and digital consultant
48.“A large social-media presence is important because it’s one of the last ways to conduct cost-effective marketing. Everything else involves buying eyeballs and ears. Social media enables a small business to earn eyeballs and ears.” – Guy Takeo Kawasaki, marketing specialist, author, and Silicon Valley venture capitalist
49. “Many people are unhappy because they believe their life is much worse off than somebody else’s projected image on social media.”― Germany Kent
50. “Social media is not just an activity; it is an investment of valuable time and resources. Surround yourself with people who not just support you and stay with you, but inform your thinking about ways to WOW your online presence” – Sean Gardner
51. “Social media is changing the way we communicate and the way we are perceived, both positively and negatively. Every time you post a photo, or update your status, you are contributing to your own digital footprint and personal brand.” – Amy Jo Martin
52. “There is no wifi in the forest, but you’ll find a better connection.” — Unknown
53. “What’s making us uncomfortable…is this feeling of losing control – a feeling that instantiates itself in a dozen different ways each day, such as when we tune out with our phone during our child’s bath time or lose our ability to enjoy a nice moment without a frantic urge to document it for a virtual audience.” ― Cal Newport
54. “These days, common sense is not so common on social media. People often use internet communication as though they are alone on the World Wide Web.”― Germany Kent
55. “Being effective at social media, whether for business or personal use, means capturing people who have short attention spans. They’re only a click away from a picture of a funny cat, so you have to make your thing more compelling than that cat. And that can be a high bar.” ― Alexis Ohanian, Co-Founder, Reddit