Ovulation is the process of egg release from the ovaries. After release, the ovum will move into the Fallopian tube and becomes accessible for fertilization.
Ovulation-how long it last
- Ovulation usually lasts for 12 to 48 hours, but a female will be potentially fertile for up to seven days, and in some cases, up to 10 days as well. However, sperm can survive in the female reproductive tract for up to 5 days.
- This short period might be considered as the ovulation period. The total fertile period will be all the duration until the egg is fertile and how long a sperm can wait for the unification. It is known as your fertile window 1.
- During the fertile period of your cycle, the odds of conceiving at the end and start of that period are small. However, you can also use a pregnancy calculator to monitor your ovulation.
How long after ovulation do you get pregnant?
Fertilization is the process of meeting egg and sperm to form a zygote. Fertilization of ovulated egg must occur within 12 to 24 hours for getting pregnant. Otherwise, the eggs will no longer be sustainable.
But fertilization of the egg doesn’t indicate that you are pregnant. In the Vivo Fertilization technique, tiny embryos or fertilized eggs are generated outside of the human body and then set within the body. This embedding does not mean that you are pregnant. After some hours, if self-generated embryos implant themselves into the uterine lining successfully, you might get pregnant. However, Embryo implantation takes place within 5 – 10 days after ovulation.
Based on some research, the odds of getting pregnant can be increased as follows:
- Chances of getting pregnant will be 21%–35% one day before ovulation.
- The chances of getting pregnant on ovulation day will be 10%–33%.
- Chances will be less after one day of ovulation. They will be 0%–11% one day past ovulation
- Chances will be only 0%–9% two days past ovulation
- For a successful pregnancy, intercourse should take place one to two days before ovulation.
- A pregnancy week calculator might help figure out the right time to try.
Also Read: 3 Lessons Learned from a Lesbian Couple Pregnant At The Same Time
How to increase the chances of getting pregnant?
Many women are almost everything to conceive during their cycle. But some of the important things that can elevate the chances of getting pregnant are as follows:
Before following anything, always keep in mind that A healthy, 30-year-old woman has only a 20 percent chance of getting pregnant each month, and it is normal.
a. Know The basics
You cannot get pregnant any time you have sex. It is a complicated process. Each month, hormonal changes cause immature eggs, which later on grow and become mature. However reproductive cycle of every female is different. Keep ovulation calendars and use a pregnancy calculator to stay on the right track.
b. Getting the timing right
In the case of regular cycles, ovulation occurs around two weeks before menstruation. It means that the fertile window will be seven days before your predictable ovulation. But in the case of irregular cycles, it will be difficult to predict ovulation. So make sure to have sex at the right time in your cycle to increase pregnancy chances.
c. Use Ovulation predictor kit
Using these test strips helps you to detect luteinizing hormone (LH). Its levels will increase just before ovulation. If you get positive test results, then it’s the best time to try.
d. Monitor your body temperature
Always check your body temperature in the morning while you are trying to get pregnant. The rise in temperature little as half of a degree can be a signal that you have ovulated. Keep in mind that you don’t have an infection. Otherwise, your body temperature can go up as well, even if you are not ovulating.
e. Cervical mucus changes
When the levels of estrogen go up, the female cervical mucus will become thin and slippery. Keep noticing such changes, as it is the best time to have sex until ovulation. Once ovulation occurs, cervical mucus will become denser and sticky.
Also Read: Pregnancy Diet: What to Eat and What to Avoid
However, Certain products can reduce sperm motility and viability. Some lubricants to avoid while trying to get pregnant are:
- K-Y jelly
- olive oil
Instead of the products as mentioned earlier, you can try:
- mineral oil
- canola oil
keep your body healthy:
- you must have a healthy weight
- improve your diet
- adopt exercise habits
- stop consuming alcohol
- quit smoking and caffeine use
- take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid
- If you’re over 35, see a doctor for advice.
Fertility myths and facts
- A common myth about fertility is that Menstrual cycles are always 28 days long, and every ovulation always occurs on Day 14 for every woman. But the reality is The average menstrual cycle is 28 days long, but for every woman ovulation period and menstrual cycle is different.
- Another myth is that If you have sex during a period, you can’t get pregnant. But in reality, it is not an impossible thing. Many women have a short cycle and ovulate just after the period. So they could be fertile even when they are still bleeding.
- Some people also believe that women can only conceive on two days each cycle. However, this is not true. The window’ lasts up to 6 days.
Track your ovulation
The most common and easy way to track your ovulation is using an ovulation and pregnancy calendar or a pregnancy calculator.
A pregnancy calculator: Yes, you heard it right!
The online pregnancy due to date calculator will help you estimate your probable due date and deliver you a complete pregnancy schedule once you get pregnant. Even when you are trying to get pregnant and don’t get your periods on time, track the details of pregnancy with this calculator as follows:
It asks you to enter some details, and within a fraction of seconds, it will deliver:
- Probable Date of Conception
- A complete timeline of pregnancy
- Provides highlights of Pregnancy Week by Week
- A compete Trimester chart
- A possible pregnancy due date.
Furthermore, the pregnancy week calculator will calculate the pregnancy schedule according to:
- Last period date
- Due date
- Conception date
- IVF transfer date
- Ultrasound date
Getting pregnant might be a challenging task for many couples, but try to be patient. It is normal to get a delayed pregnancy, but It doesn’t mean that you will not have a baby at all. Adopt healthy habits, stay calm and relaxed. Positivity will increase the chance of getting pregnant as well.
Once you get pregnant, use a pregnancy calculator to have a piece of complete detailed information related to your gestation period.