When the world turns against you
And you feel really blue
Make yourself feel special
Like the gentle drops of dew.
This isn’t something new
The way people make you feel ashamed
Don’t be sad; just stand strong
For the time is now to be bold and untamed.
It’s fine to be of any size
Irrespective of your complexion
Be uniquely weird
With sunshine as your reflection.
Self-love forms the foundation of the most important relationship, i.e., with your own self.
Self-love is not about being arrogant or egotistical. It is not about comparing yourself with others to determine if you are good enough. It is also not about always putting yourself first at the expense of others, but it is about accepting yourself the way you are, about being kind to yourself and looking after your mind, body, and spirit, about being involved in all those activities that make you feel content.
Why is it important?
There are times when you’re too hard on yourselves; you do things because you’re driven by a desire to excel and do everything right, all the time. This entails a lot of self-criticisms just to achieve perfection. But remember, self-love is the basis of self-improvement and a prerequisite to loving others. It allows you to truly rejoice in other people’s good fortune rather than wondering “why, not me” or even resenting it.
There is an inner critic inside us that tries to stop us from living a full life; it is a controlling parasite that restricts us from pursuing anything that brings us happiness, which is why sometimes it’s important not to do what your mind directs you to do. And sometimes, all you need to do is listen to your heart, take the plunge and do what makes you happy. As it is rightly said, “anything which makes you happy need not make sense to anyone else.”
Reasons To Take Yourself on Solo Date
You can be your own best friend, lover, and whatnot. Self-love comes in many forms. If you have a bad day or you wish to spend some quality time with yourself, you may consider taking yourself on a date. It can be anywhere you like. Here are some ideas to plan your date:
- Food Outlets- Hanging out with yourself can include taking yourself to your best-loved food outlet and having your favorite meal. You may call it a cheat day if you’re on a diet. But, this could be very fulfilling as having a delicious meal works like magic, and it can make your day. You can also explore new cafes, restaurants or new dishes, that way you will gain new experiences.
- Solo Trip- Imagine planning, organizing, and managing your trip all by yourself, going there alone, and having your best time. Sounds great. Isn’t it? A solo trip can be to any place you like. You may try trekking, rafting, and other adventure activities, and guess what? There’s nobody to stop you from anything. You’re your own boss.
- Visit the Beaches- What can be more beautiful than the sight of the sunset on a beach. So relieving and peaceful. Such places help you deal with your inner strife. They calm you, and I believe this is one of the best ways to spend some quality time with yourself. You can look for some beautiful beaches on the web and choose the best one for yourself. So, what are you waiting for? Book a hotel with a beach view, take out your bag, stuff your beach dresses, and head to a lovely shore.
- Stargazing– Stargazing reminds me of my childhood. Do you remember how we used to look at the sky and gaze at those sparkling stars and how peaceful it was to do that as a child? We used to count them. We aren’t that young anymore, but the contentment and joy that come from stargazing are still the same. Just plug in your earphones, find a comfortable place to sit, and enjoy the moment.
- A book and some coffee– Dates do not mean a fancy restaurant or an expensive dress. It has to be a happy thing. It can be as simple as sitting by the window pane, reading a book, and sipping your favorite coffee/ tea. How comforting and fulfilling it can be. Sometimes, it is not about the fancy places but only about little things which bring you peace and comfort.
- Retail therapy– It can be one of the most exciting ways to date yourself. What can be more fun than shopping? You can buy yourself a nice dress or accessories or whatever you like. Shopping for yourself is different; it gives you a feeling of self-sufficiency.
Requirements of a solo date
The most important thing is that the trip/ date should be something you like, something that makes you happy. An excellent place to relax. It has to be fun. Try traversing new places and people, that way you will learn new things and have great experiences and memories for life. Try pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.
If you’re heading out of the city, plan your trip ahead of time so there isn’t any last-minute rush. Carry your clothes, towels, and most importantly, your identity cards. Try not to carry too much luggage so that you can move from one place to another conveniently.
Important Things to remember
- Don’t be too self-conscious about hanging out alone. If you choose to go out on your solo date and feel that other people are looking down at you or are unnecessarily staring at you just because you’re alone, just ignore them. Don’t give a damn about them. People are anyway going to judge you for whatever you do. Whoever judges you for being alone is probably just not comfortable being by themselves, and that’s too bad for them. Don’t waste your energies on them; just enjoy yourself.
- Live in the moment. When you’re out on a date with someone else, you don’t space out or stare at your phone all throughout the date. You enjoy that person’s company. The same goes for you. Show yourself the same courtesy. When you are on a solo date, give yourself your full time and attention.
- Don’t overspend your time and money unless it is imperative. Planning and sticking to your budget is crucial; otherwise, you will lose a lot of money and time. This can ruin the experience of your trip and will leave you with guilt and regret instead of contentment.
- Don’t stick to a particular thing or place. Explore new things, meet new people, and have new adventures. It may be awkward initially, but you will have fun. You will come back with a bag full of new experiences and memories. Go beyond your comfort zone.
- Do not forget to record the moments. Pictures are the best way to capture the moments. You may also consider journalizing your experiences. This way, you can look back at those beautiful memories later.
Some Beautiful sayings
- “Forgiving yourself, believing in yourself, and choosing to love yourself are the best gifts one could receive.”- Brittany Burgunder.
- “Above everything else, genuinely love yourself first. Self-love is powerful, and it’s the best love that you will ever have. When you love who YOU are, your relationships will be healthier, and your life will be happier. Self-love sets the standard in how we allow others to treat us and how we treat ourselves. Your happiness and well-being is important. Protect it by always valuing who you are!”- Stephanie Lahart.
- “Respect, Love, and Value yourself. Always remember to be good to yourself by taking care of yourself. Make yourself a priority and know that it’s okay. Don’t feel guilty for loving yourself first! You’re just as important as anybody else.”- Stephanie Lahart.
- “Love yourself, again and again, and again.”- Michael Bassey Johnson.