Losing a loved one is truly the hardest experience to survive in life. The loss of someone special, be that a friend, partner, or family member leaves an upsetting impact in life.
The grief and depression are real and feel too heavy. Sometimes it’s difficult to come out of such a situation. To feel better, the only way is to get out of the situation. And quotes can be helpful to overcome this feeling of loneliness.
Below you’ll find a great collection of quotes about losing a loved one which has been divided into different categories. I hope these quotes bring a sense of comfort to support your feelings. Read the quotes below.
Quotes on dealing with the loss
These quotes are simple and expressive. They clearly depict the emotions connected with the loss of a loved one. If you want to deal with the loss of your loved one, you’ll find these quotes helpful.
- “The death of a beloved is an amputation” – C. S. Lewis
- “The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love” – Kristina McMorris
- “Grief and love are conjoined, you don’t get one without the other” – Jandy Nelson
- “For some moments in life there are no words” – David Seltzer
- “Death ends a life, not a relationship” – Mitch Albom
- “Deep down inside we always seek for our departed loved ones” – Munia Khan
- “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campell
- “When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.” – Unknown
- “You don’t know who is important to you until you actually lose them” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love.” – Anne L. de Stael
- “No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply” – Billy Graham
Emotional “Grieving the Loss of a Mother” Quotes
Mother’s love is unconditional. Every second spent with a mother feels empty. But the worst part is when you lose her permanently. There’s no going back to the good old memories. We can only live in the present moment and remember the lovely moments spent with her. Below are the quotes that define the loss of a mother.
- “Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.” – C.S. Lewis
- “No matter what age… I’ll always need you mom.” – Unknown
- “I wish I had the power to take back every pain, worry and hurt that I ever gave you. I wish that I could just undo, all the moments that made you blue.” – Unknown
- “When death takes your mother, it steals that word forever.” – Mitch Albom
- “I never truly learned what the words ‘I miss you’ were until I reached for my mom’s hand and it wasn’t there.” – Unknown
- “My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart—a heart so large that everybody’s joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.” – Mark Twain
- “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
- “Wherever a beautiful soul has been there is a trail of beautiful memories.” – Unknown
- “A mom’s hug lasts long after she lets go.” – Unknown
- “Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give, but cannot. All that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go.” – Jamie Anderson
Quotes About the Loss of a Father That Will Comfort You
Father’s love can’t be expressed in words, it could be experienced. A person who sacrifices all his needs and happiness just to make his kids happy is a father. Father’s role in a kid’s life is irreplaceable. If you’re today what you wanted to be – Thank your daddy. His absence in life makes life feel lifeless. Below are the quotes that describe the pain of the loss of a father.
- “Hold dear to your parents for it is a scary and confusing world without them.” – Emily Dickinson
- “But she wasn’t around, and that’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going in to every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.” – Mitch Albom, For One More Day
- “Dad, wherever you are, you are done but you will never be forgotten.” – Conrad Hall
- “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain.” – Frank Lowry
- “Your absence walks through the door every single day.” – Helen Lyon
- “Dads are the most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers story-tellers, and singers of song.” – Pam Brown
- “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart.” – Jennifer Williamson
- “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
- “My father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kellan
- “Love is a bond that death cannot part. Gone from my arms, but still held in my heart.” – John Mark Green
- “Old as she was, she still missed her Daddy sometimes.” – Unknown
Quotes To Help You Heal After Losing A Child
What could be more disastrous than losing a child for the parent? The loss of a child in a parent’s life is heartbreaking. This experience not only breaks the heart but also shatters the hopes of the world. It’s excruciating and very difficult to move on in life with such a calamitic experience. Below you’ll find quotes that express the agony behind the loss of a child.
- “There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “This was how to help a family who has just lost their child. Wash the clothes, make soup. Don’t ask them what they need, bring them what they need. Keep them warm. Listen to them rant, and cry, and tell their story over and over.” – Ann Hood
- “We bereaved are not alone. We belong to the largest company in all the world — the company of those who have known suffering.” – Helen Keller
- “We never truly get over a loss, but we can move forward and evolve from it.” – Elizabeth Berrien
- “There is no footprint too small to leave an imprint on this world.” – Unknown
- “Just as it is impossible to explain childbirth to a woman who has never given birth, it is impossible to explain child loss to a person who has never lost a child.” – Lynda Cheldlin Fell
- “In the English language there are orphans and widows, but there is no word for the parents who lose a child.” – Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
- “When our children die, we drop them into the unknown, shuddering with fear. We know that they go out from us, and we stand, and pity, and wonder.” – Henry Ward Beecher
Losing A Brother Quotes And Sayings
Brothers share a special bond with their siblings. When someone loses their brother, the gap cannot be filled. Life feels empty and devastated. Below are the quotes about the loss of a brother that also expresses sympathy.
- “The years may pass but you will stay… as near and dear as yesterday” – Unknown
- “I still don’t know how to look at my life without an inescapable absence of you.” – Chloe Frayne
- Like my strong body would miss my heart beating loud, I miss you Brother.” – Michele Melleen
- “Because I have a brother, I’ll always have a friend.” – Unknown
- Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” – Terry Pratchett
- “There’s no buddy like a brother. I miss you.” – Unknown
- “Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.” – Renee Wood
- “Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks.” – Unknown
- “Because brothers don’t let each other wander in the dark alone.” – Jolene Perry
- “Everything I am, you helped me be.” – Unknown
Sympathy Quotes for the Loss of a Sister
Losing a sister is heartbreaking. Sister shares a special bond and friendship that completes the life. Losing her can bring endless grief in life. Below are the quotes about the loss of a sister.
- “My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn’t go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath.” – Jandy Nelson, “The Sky is Everywhere”
- “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “She was a beautiful person, she was my sister, and I’m just as proud of her as I can be.” – Mary Porter
- “My sister may not always be at my side, but she is always in my heart.” – Unknown
- “Not always eye to eye, but always heart to heart.” – Unknown
- “If you have a sister and she dies, do you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?” – Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
- “There’s something God has given us, that’s more than family; He’s placed a love for you, my Sister, deep down in the heart of me.” – Allison Chambers Coxsey
- “If you see a sunset, it’s me, smiling from behind it. If I go away far, and you see a star, if you find it, I’m inside it.” – Anna Williams
- “I’ll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places, that this heart of mine embraces, all day through.” – Billie Holiday, I’ll Be Seeing You
Sympathy Quotes and Sayings For Friends and Family
Sympathy is expressing condolences to let someone know that you’re there for them and they can rely on you to feel better. Sympathy is the use of the right words to make other people feel comfortable and get out of the distressing situation as well as help them to ease the loss of their loved one. Below are some of the sympathy quotes.
- “All things grow with time, except grief.”
- “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories.”
- “The darker the night, the brighter the stars; the deeper the grief, the closer is God!”
- “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.”
- “What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, star-dust or sea-foam, flower or winged air.”
- “The bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”
- “In times of grief and sorrow I will hold you and rock you and take your grief and make it my own. When you cry I cry and when you hurt I hurt. And together we will try to hold back the floods of tears and despair and make it through the potholed street of life.”
- “End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The gray rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.”
- “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it.”
- “The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That’s the deal.”
Quotes To Cope With Pain
Suffering is optional – We can get over it if we try. Pain can be everlasting if we allow it to be. If you want to cope with pain, you should allow your wounds to heal gradually. Below are the quotes to cope with pain.
- “The only way to get over a death is by seeing it as a life completed, instead of a life interrupted” – Anonymous
- “Our joys will be greater, our love will be deeper, our life will be fuller because we shared your moment” – Unknown
- “Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch” – Jack Thorne
- “The sorrow we feel when we lose a loved one is the price we pay to have had them in our lives” – Rob Liano
- “We never truly get over a loss, but we can move forward and evolve from it” – Elizabeth Berrien
- “I don’t think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that remains” – Anne Frank
- “A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again” – Maya Angelou
- “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever” – J.K. Rowling
- “When you lose someone you love, you gain an angel you know” – Unknown
- “Everyone copes differently, some cry for the loss of a loved one others smile because they know they’ll see them again” – Unknown
- “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart” – José N. Harris
The loss of someone special leaves a devasting impact on our life. Everything changes. The happiness turns into grief and overcoming such a situation becomes nearly impossible.
Hope these quotes were powerful enough to spread the words of sympathy related to the loss of a loved one.