What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils that are made out of plants and produced by distillation. Use only essential oils that say “therapeutic-grade” on the bottle.
When should essential oils be used?
Essential oils have been successfully used for thousands of years for a variety of physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual problems. Essential oils are very effective to treat aches and pains, colds, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and deeper meditation, to name a few.
Why are they useful?
A scent of an essential oil reaches the brain within seconds and activates the hypothalamus, the hormonal control center. It then releases hormones essential for our wellbeing.
I recommend different essential oils for men and women.
Women: ylang-ylang (balances female energy), jasmine (increases libido), and clary sage (raises estrogen and progesterone).
Men: goldenrod (boosts testosterone), yarrow (hormone balancer), and myrtle (stimulates the prostate).
And is it just a fad, or does it have real medical benefits?
There are thousands of publications describing the medical benefits of essential oils. When selecting essential oils, always look for purity and strength that only therapeutic-grade essential oils provide. They should be distilled in stainless steel cooking chambers at low pressure and low temperature. Plants should be grown without toxic chemicals. All the compounds have to be present at the right percentage to be therapeutic. Most essential oils sold in stores are not therapeutic.
I’ve used essential oils for my clients for over 7 years. In fact, I’ve even written a best-selling book Gypsy Energy Secrets, that includes a chapter on essential oils. I belong to a group of people called highly sensitive. Every day was a challenge until I discovered therapeutic essential oils. I could not use essential oils sold in regular stores since they were loaded with chemicals and would trigger a headache right away.
The easiest way to use essential oils is to put a few drops on your hands, rub them together, and cup your nose. Breathe in, then open your hands to breathe out. Repeat several times. Read the labels to learn which oils must be diluted and which ones can be taken internally. You can also use a diffuser. Don’t add essential oils sold in regular stores to your water. It is not safe. For dietary essentials oils (labeled specifically for internal use), add just one drop per glass of water. Stir fast. Never add essential oils to water in plastic containers.
There are several essential oils I use daily: marjoram to relax my muscles and lavender to relax my mind for deep sleep. Peppermint for digestion. Rosemary for increased focus at work. I use the following blends of essential oils as needed.
To support my feminine energy, I use Clary Sage or Lady Sclareol during the first part of my cycle and Progessence Plus during the second half. (Masculine energy is supported by Mister and Spruce).
- When I want to support my brain, I put several drops of Brain Power and rub them on my temples and the back of my neck.
- When I want to support my heart, I put several drops of Aroma Life over the heart area.
- When I want to support my muscles, I rub them with Elemi, Cool Azul, and Aroma Siez.
- When I want to support my thyroid and adrenals, I put several drops of EndoFlex on my right hand and rub my neck; I add some more and rub across the middle of my back.
- When I want to support my liver, I rotate JuveCleanse and JuvaFlex. I put several drops on my right hand and rub my stomach on the right side under the rib cage.
- When I want to support my kidneys, I put several drops of Juniper on my right hand and rub my back on the left side, then put several drops on my left hand and rub my back on the right side.
- When I want deep, peaceful sleep, I put several drops of Peace & Calming II or Lavender or Marjoram on the soles of my feet, my temples, the back of my neck, and my wrists. If I want memorable lucid dreams, I use Dream Catcher in the same way.
- To support my inner child and create an atmosphere of serenity, I use Gentle Baby. I put a drop on my pillow, on a cotton ball, on my face, and on my neck.
- When work gets tough and overwhelming, I use Stress Away to calm down and Bergamot to regain my happiness.
- When I want to stay healthy during the cold season, I rub ImmuPower on the soles of my feet.
- To eliminate offensive smells and clean the air, I use Purification.
- When I need an extra boost of energy, I use En-R-Gee.
Since I chose to live a long and healthy life, I rub Longevity just below my knees, on the outside of my legs.