Drugs have the power to take away your life, both literally and figuratively. Your career and personal life go for a toss. Family bonds and relationships are broken. You might end up being convicted for possession and consumption. And nothing seems to make sense anymore. There’s only one solution to end this nightmare—a drug detox program.
Want to detox? Here’s what to keep in mind
You’ve decided to enroll in a drug detox program. That’s fantastic! Now all that’s left for you is to research and find a suitable detox program. There are several rehabilitation centers like the baton rouge recovery center that offer quality services.
However, before you take this step, here are a few questions that we took the liberty to answer for you:
Types of Drug Detox programs
1. Medical Detox Program
This is a formal program under which specialists medically supervise the patient. The person receives medical treatment via pills and liquid concentrates. Buprenorphine and methadone are two common drugs used to treat opioid addiction.
2. Rapid Detox
General anesthesia is administered to the patient under this detox type. The rapid detox treatment may pose grave risks, especially if you suffer from heart-related issues.
Be sure to communicate all pre-existing medical problems during the screening session. This may help to avoid the painful fallout of the withdrawal process.
3. Residential Detox
You can undergo a drug detox at home, and there are kits available for the same. Some avoid this treatment option because it may not always be effective and safe.
A residential detox may not always guarantee professional care. However, it offers more emotional and mental support.
4. Natural Detox
This treatment method avoids all kinds of medication. It consists of alternative options like herbal substances, exercise and yoga, massage, and physical therapy.
5. Tapered Detox
Many rehab centers have started to incorporate the tapered detox program. It aims at weaning a person completely off narcotics by reducing the dose amount gradually. Over time, the body and mind adjust to the quantity consumed. Thus, craving is controlled along with the withdrawal symptoms.
The 5 Stages of a drug detox process
A professional drug detox process will consist of the following five steps:
- Taking the leap – This is where you acknowledge that you have an issue. You accept that your addiction is ruining your life as well as affecting your work and relationships. It is the turning point where you decide to deal with the problem.
- Initial treatment phase – The early treatment stage is involved with the onset of withdrawal symptoms. When you abruptly discontinue drugs, your body goes through significant changes. This is also known as the “cold turkey” phenomenon.
Drug withdrawal symptoms include and are not limited to:
- Heart palpitations
- Anxiety and depression
- Loss of interest and focus
- Tendency to inflict pain on oneself
- Agitation and irritability
- Aggravated Side effects – This detox stage is an intensified development of the previous phase. It is marked by mood swings, greater cravings, and immense attitude changes. Your mettle is put to the test here.
- The peak – The fourth stage is the worst as it is the peak of the withdrawal process. Your body goes through a virtual storm with insatiable cravings and physical discomfort in certain cases. The positive aspect of this stage is that your body is now ready to give up drugs.
- Sobriety begins – The final stage commences about one to two weeks after you stop using drugs. Long-term users develop a condition called PAWS or Post Traumatic Acute Withdrawal Symptoms. Like the side effects, past users experience cramps, headaches, exhaustion, and nausea, among other issues. Do note that PAWS can carry on for a long time, sometimes even years. One might even relapse during this time.
A drug detox program works towards helping individuals quit their addictions. It is successful when the patient goes back into society as a healthy functioning member. If you suffer from drug addiction or know someone who does, please seek immediate help and detox yourself.