Negative thoughts can deter you from your goals, keep you from chasing your dreams, and leave you feeling down about yourself and your life. They can be the difference between a good day and a bad, a positive experience, and yet another terrible event. And for many, they are almost impossible to run from.
Negative thoughts can be detrimental to your mental health and even lead to low self-esteem and possibly even depression.
For those who constantly have negative thoughts or even those who have them on occasion, it’s important to do what you can to fight them off. You need to fight the urge to succumb to your negative thoughts and continue to look on the bright side.
But this can be easier said than done, especially when things seem like they’re bad. You need to do what you can to stay positive, and, luckily for you; there are some things you can do to turn those negative thoughts into positive action now.
Here are some tips:
1. Start Using These Self-Care Practices
There are some great self-care practices that you can do to positively impact your mental and physical health in a big way. They help you focus your thoughts, find peace within yourself, and connect your thoughts to your body.
A few specific self-care practices you should try are:
- Yoga: This will calm your mind, use your negative energy on a physical activity that will impact your personal fitness, and encourage calm thinking.
- Meditation: Meditation is an easy way to focus your thoughts, push away the busy life that surrounds you, and encourage more calm thinking. Push your negative thoughts away, focus on how you can turn it into positives, and recharge your batteries. Meditation will change your life.
- Tai Chi: This is another physical activity that will turn your negative energy into positive thoughts. Even if you do it on a weekly basis, you can change your way of thinking in a big way.
2. Find Time to Do What You Love
All of us spend too much time doing things we don’t want to do – like work, regular chores around the home, and more – and not enough of what we love to do. We all need to make a conscious effort to carve more time out for ourselves and find a way to do the things we love.
It can help you find joy in life, get away from the negative things that surround you, and allow you to see how accessible the positives are.
Need a quick list of some great things to do that you will enjoy? Why not try these things:
- Go for a walk, jog, or run.
- Exercise, in general, can be a huge positive.
- Read a book or magazine.
- Turn on some music you enjoy.
- Find a podcast that injects positive into your life.
- Play an activity or a sport.
- Cook a nice meal.
There are literally a million things you can do to inject a little positive into your life using the negative energy that has built up. Find something you love and roll with it!
3. Write It Down or Take Notes
By writing down how you are feeling, you can release the negative energy you are feeling through a creative outlet. Start a journal, sit down, and write down all the negative things in your life.
Once you release it into the atmosphere, the negative thoughts will leave your body and escape your grasp. You’ll begin to feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, and you can then focus on the positives in your life.
If you don’t want to start a journal, then just use your phone’s note section!
4. Find Someone to Talk To
Similar to writing your thoughts down on a piece of paper (or on your phone), it can help by talking to someone. It doesn’t have to be a psychologist or therapist; it can be a friend or family member who you trust and are comfortable talking to.
By finding a way to get your negative thoughts out into the open and having someone listen, you’ll be better equipped to turn them into positives. Again, just by saying them out loud, you are releasing them from the hold they have on you.
If you find the right person to talk to about your negative thoughts, you might even have someone who can help you see the positives and put the negatives into perspective. Sometimes another person can help you see things for how they really are.
Final Tip: Go For it!
Is a negative thought keeping you from doing something or being somebody you want to be? Are negative thoughts the reason why you aren’t where you are in life?
Well, don’t let them hold you back.
Stand up and push through the negative thoughts you are feeling. They might be hanging over your head, but they can’t hold you back from doing whatever it is that can help you find the positive. Just go for it and don’t hold back.
Negative thoughts can be the kind of energy that helps you overcome the biggest obstacles and the worst mindsets.
- How to Turn Negative Thoughts Into Positive Action - August 13, 2020