Food is not just something we eat. It holds a great emotional value to all. As said, what we eat says a lot about us. Culture and upbringing too, play a significant role in our food choices. And each culture has a different take on different types of foodstuff. But the fundamental function of food is, of course, to provide nutrition. It goes without saying that a balanced and nutritious diet directly boosts your health. The same can be said about your sexual health as well.
Is it really possible to eat your way to great sex? Experts say that sexual health and food share a closer bond than we realize. Filling your body with the right kind of foods can come with plenty of ‘benefits’! Ahem..
While some foods are considered aphrodisiacs, some are said to boost libido, while others are believed to increase fertility naturally. But, ‘spicing up’ your sex life is not about eating an only certain food. So, what are those superfoods that can actually supercharge your sex life? Read on to find out more about those goodies that ensure sound sexual health overall.
Also Read: 15 Foods to Eat For Better Sex Life
5 Top foods to enhance your sex life
A general guideline for a balanced diet will consist of plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, and grains, with a moderate amount of carbs and proteins. A balanced diet ensures all the necessary vitamins and minerals are obtained through food so that all the systems are kept running smoothly.
Vitamin E: Is an essential nutrient for reproduction and nerve health. It is hence vital for enhanced libido. They are abundant in wheat germ oil, almonds, sunflower seeds, avocado, and kiwifruit.
Zinc: Zinc plays a very important role in the production of sex hormones testosterone and prolactin, thus resulting in increased sex drive. In fact, there is some research studying the effect of Zinc supplements on men’s sexual function. Some foods naturally rich in Zinc are oysters, crabs, and lobsters. Plant sources include peanuts, cashew nuts, and almonds. The fruits with the highest Zinc content are avocados, pomegranate, blackberries, and raspberries.
L-Arginine: L-Arginine is a type of amino acid which are nothing but the building blocks of protein. It is a semi-essential amino acid, meaning it is produced in the body but in insufficient quantities. Hence it is necessary to supplement it through the diet. L-arginine is said to help the muscles relax and improve blood flow to the sexual organs. This function is necessary for sexual performance in men. Some naturally available sources of L-Arginine are turkey, pork loin, chicken, and dairy products. Some vegetarian sources of this amino acid are soybeans, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, and oats.
L- Carnitine: It is a derivative of an amino acid and helps transfer fatty acids to cells for energy production. It also increases testosterone levels, thereby increasing sex drive and leading to a stronger orgasm. Foods naturally rich in L-carnitine include meat, fish, and dairy products. If you are a vegetarian, some good ways to obtain this nutrient are by having beans and avocado.
Antioxidants: Antioxidants are substances that protect the cells from aging by preventing the oxidation process. They also play a vital role in sperm production and quality. Some antioxidant-rich foods that can give you a better love life are spinach, broccoli, avocado, beetroot, blueberries, strawberries, pecans, green tea, and dark chocolate.
Aside from these natural libido-boosting foods, there are some nutrition strategies to inculcate into your routine to take care of your sexual health.
- Have several smaller meals than a few larger meals. This can help boost metabolism and maintain energy levels.
- Consume alcohol in moderation. Although booze can make you feel bold and adventurous, regular consumption can hamper sexual function in males and females. It actually messes up the sex hormones and impairs erections.
- Cooking together can have several benefits. Any activity done as a couple can let you relax, unwind and strike up a healthy conversation. This fosters intimacy and develops closeness in the bond. If an activity related to food can also provide quality time, then it is surely twice the fun!
- Eating together is another way to ensure you consistently eat nourishing foods. You can become mutually accountable. This will help you provide support and inspiration on your journey to clean eating.
- Stay away from processed and refined foods as much as feasible. This type of food tends to increase inflammation in the body and causes sexual dysfunction – clearly forbidden!
- Having too much coffee: Hard to believe, but there is something like too much coffee. Although it helps with stamina to keep you on the go, excessive consumption of coffee is going to kill your sex drive. So, next time you crave that coffee buzz, remember it is not a love potion for you!
What you eat affects your sex life. Sex is a vital part of a relationship, and to keep things steamed up in the bedroom, it is essential to regulate your diet.
Do not rely on aphrodisiacs or supplements to keep you going. Instead, make sure to include these superfoods that are sure to get you in the mood.
So, the next time you find that bowl of greens staring at you, just put it in your mouth already!